Sunday, August 30, 2009

A day in the cave

As David learned compassion in his time in the cave at Adullam, our little tragedies and inconveniences teach us about our ability to forgive and move on in our lives. Life is bigger than our hurts, but sometimes it takes a while to figure that out.

Nearly five years ago when I had a brain stem stroke, I gained some things and lost some things. I am not as agile as I was. My balance is not as I would like. Through rehab and the wonderful folks there I slowly learned how to get around and became stronger. My (primary) right hand grip strength was 35 psi (75-80 is normal) after my stroke, and 120 psi after rehab--took some work though.

It took a while for me to get my head on straight. From June of 2005 to December of 2007 I drafted and completed my doctoral dissertation. That helped on my future mental tasks.

What I gained was a true appreciation for the blessing each day was to me. My emotions were also much more available to me which was a blessing to both me and my wife, although I still have some trouble trying to figure out what to do with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment